Pistol Permit Links and Forms
A firearms license is a state license however it is issued under the authority of county licensing officers.
An applicant must decide what type of license they will be applying for. The most common types of licenses are:
- Carry concealed
- Possess on Premises
- Possess/Carry During Employment
The cost of the application varies by county.
You should expect it to take a minimum of four months from the time of application until a license is either granted or denied.
To be eligible to have a firearms license you:
- Must be a New York State resident
- A person, who is not a resident of New York State but has his/her principal place of business in the State, may apply for a Possess on Premises License within the business’ jurisdiction.
- A person under 21 who has been honorably discharged from military service is eligible to apply for a firearms license.
- Must be 21 years old
- Have no prior felony or serious offense convictions
- Be of good moral character
- Have a legally recognized reason for wanting to possess or carry a firearm
- Be ready to open the business for which the license is being applied
You can find out additional information at the New York State Web Site , The New York State Rifle & Pistol Association website or at the individual county websites listed below.
If you have a valid Firearms license and wish to add or remove firearms you will need to fill out this form NYS Form PPB-5
Basic Pistol Licensing Course
NRA Instructor: Jo Ann Schneider(845)361-4358